I recieved this in my email and thought it good to share with other people….
OK. I don’t know where to begin because the last 2 days of my life have been such a blur. Yesterday, My youngest daughter Halle who is 4, was rushed to the emergency room by her father for being severely lethargic and incoherent. He was called to her school by the school secretary for being “very VERY sick.” He told me that when he arrived that Halle was barely sitting in the chair. She couldn’t hold her own head up and when he looked into her eyes, she couldn’t focus them.
He immediately called me after he scooped her up and rushed her to the ER. When we got there, they ran blood test after blood test and did x-rays, every test imaginable. Her white blood cell count was normal, nothing was out of the ordinary. The ER doctor told us that he had done everything that he could do so he was sending her to Saint Francis for further test.
Right when we were leaving in the ambulance, her teacher had come to the ER and after questioning Halle’s classmates, we found out that she had licked hand sanitizer off her hand. Hand sanitizer, of all things. But it makes sense. These days they have all kinds of different scents and when you have a curious child, they are going to put all kinds of things in their mouths.
When we arrived at Saint Francis, we told the ER doctor there to check her blood alcohol level, which, yes we did get weird looks from it but they did it. The results were her blood alcohol level was 85% and this was 6 hours after we first took her. There is no telling what it would have been if we would have tested it at the first ER.
Since then, her school and a few surrounding schools have taken this out of the classrooms of all the lower grade classes but whats to stop middle and high schoolers too? After doing research off the Internet, we have found out that it only takes 3 squirts of the stuff to be fatal in a toddler. For her blood alcohol level to be so high was to compare someone her size to drinking something 120 proof. So please PLEASE don’t disregard this because I don’t ever want anyone to go through what my family and I have gone through. Today was a little better but not much. Please send this to everyone you know that has children or are having children. It doesn’t matter what age. I just want people to know the dangers of this.
One thought on “Oh dear!”
I had to check it on snopes myself, because I wasn’t convinced. Not so much about that it could happen, but it didn’t sound logical for that much alcohol from a lick of something that was halfway evaporated. Snopes shows it as true, with two different versions of the story. This particular one, they admitted that some of the info was wrong (85% blood alcohol level, for one) but the incidents were mostly true. The original story of this was a two year old that was treated at a hospital for getting into hand sanitizer.
The thing I don’t like about this particular one, is that it’s kind of misleading. On Snopes, it says “Ingesting as little as an ounce or two of this product could be fatal to a toddler,” says Heidi Kuhl, a health educator at the Central New York Poison Control Center. (Other medical technicians maintain that a child would have to ingest considerably more sanitizer than is typically used in a single application in order for alcohol toxicity to be a likely result.)
All that aside, Josiah did get into a big bottle of sanitizer once while I was sleeping. Didn’t eat any, fortunately, but did squirt it all over the floor. Little known fact, it turns black sharpie into purple! Haha. Also found out on Snopes that the 4 year old in this story was from Okmulgee.